Monday, July 26, 2010

Nuevo.

If there is one thing I'm crazy about in this world, (besides a 10 hour long sleep or a freshly made bolillo) it's books; and $1 books at that. The $1 bookstore in Burbank is one of my must stop shops when I'm in that area. The store is so half assed and unorganized and completely unpretentious that I can't help but love it. It's like that boy in school that is not your type at all, and you wonder to yourself what it is that attracts you to him but there is no good answer for it but none of it matters anyway because you guys or so far out of each other's radars that you'll probably never even exchange a word...or something like that.

Undoubtedly, one of the best things about this store is that they give you the books in brown paper bags, like when you were a little kid and your mom packed your lunch for field trips; or like when you were a teenage kid and you thought it was cool to drink beer with the brown paper bag on...or something like that.



Now I'll proceed to name and briefly describe them.

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds
This was the Pulitzer prize winning play by Paul Zindel.
His other works include such titles as Confession of a Teenage Baboon; I Never Loved Your Mind; My Darling, My Hamburger and Pardon Me, You're Stepping On My Eyeball. Need I say More?




Barbara Kingsolver is the author of my favorite book thus far, The Lacuna. That moved me in ways I had never experienced before, and for that reason I will read anything she has to write. The dedication she wrote, sealed the deal: "-for Steven, Camille, and Lily, and for wilderness, where it lives".




The last book I purchased is Howard Norman's, The Bird Artist. Not only is the cover art amazing, (I know, I know...don't judge a book by its cover...but I always will) there is a quotation in the beginning of the story from Bassani's, The Heron.


Suddenly, with extreme violence, he felt himself seized by the desire to be,
rain or no rain, at any price, in the midst of the valleys: alone.




Oh ya, Luigi bought me these cool stickers with my name on 'em. Too bad they're from 1987 and don't stick anymore haha




fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment